The Department of Technical Education and Skill Development Ladakh, came into existenceafter formation of Ladakh as a new Union Territory in 2019, having under its ambit Polytechnic Colleges and Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs).
The Department has 02 ITIs and 02 Polytechnic Colleges one each at Leh and Kargil, operating under the administrative control of Technical Education and Skill Development Department.
The Ladakh Skill Development Mission (LSDM), a two-tier structure comprising of the Governing Council and Executive Committee has been constituted in the Union Territory in the year 2021, registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860. The Mission will be the single point of the UT Administration to formulate and steer various skill development schemes and to bring necessary synergy, oversight and effective coordination in the implementation of various Skill development schemes across the Departments in the UT of Ladakh. The Ladakh Skill Development Mission conducts “Short Term Trainings” in various job roles and is also the implementing agency of the SANKALP Scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, GoI.
Further District Skill Committees (DSCs) at District Level (Leh & Kargil) have been constituted with the Deputy Commissioner of the respective districts as the Chairperson of the DSCs.
1. To constantly strive and integrate the efforts of various departments engaged in skilling the youth of Union Territory of Ladakh.
2. To bring necessary scale, synergy, oversight and effective coordination in the implementation of various Skill development schemes.
3. To Improve the quality of Training, Staff and Infrastructureof Government ITIs and Polytechnics.
4. To Facilitate the development of entrepreneurs.
5. To provide the best possible technical education facilities for training of youth in job relevant sectors.
6. To Promoting research and development in Institutions so as to inculcate Entrepreneurial culture.
Our vision is to create constant opportunities for the youth of Ladakh to be able to acquire skills of choice and to support them with the means of creating sustainable livelihoods.
To coordinate the efforts and policies regarding Skill Development and empowering all individuals especially the youth of Ladakh through improved skills, knowledge, nationally recognized qualifications to gain access to decent employment and eliminate the problem of unemployment.