The Department of Libraries & ResearchLeh is upholding the long tradition of Public Library Service in District Leh dating back to 1958. The Department is engaged in the dissemination of knowledge and information by way of providing free library and reading room facilities to people of Lehthrough its network of Public Libraries in the UT. The Department runs various categories of Public Libraries at Block andTehsil, level where titles on a variety of subjects for both specific and general interest groups are made available to visitors and borrowers. From Small Children to Senior Citizens and Students to Scholars, every section of the society is benefited from these facilities.
The Department of Libraries & Research is engaged in dissemination of knowledge by providing free library and reading room facilities to public in Leh District as well lots Out Reach Programs are organized Reaching to the Unreached section of the society especially in the destitute institutions like Bal Ashrams , Nariniketan and like in District Jail on various occasions and also organizes Coaching and Counseling on various issues .
Besides making books on various subjects available to people at public libraries, the reading community is also provided , national and local newspapers and magazines to keep them abreast with the latest happenings around the globe.
The Department has now added to its library collection books on competitive examinations to help the student community toprepare for these examinations.
There are are3 Branches of District Library Leh and are:-
- Tehsil Library Khaltse :- Tehsil Library Khaltse was opened in the year 1982 and presently has only two room set accommodating the books as well as the reading Room.
- Border Block Library DiskitNubra :- Border Block Library Diskit was opened in the year 1991 and has only 3 rooms which are very much in a delipathic conditions.
- Border Block Library Nyuma :- Border Block Library NyumaChangthangwas opened in the year 1991 and since been hosted in single room accommodated in Govt. office Room.
The Department has a rich collection in its libraries spread across the district The District Library Leh have a collection of 35 Thousand Books on various subjects
The Tehsil Libraries Khaltse has a collection of 9000 approx books while Border Block Library possesses a humble collection of about 7000-8000 Books
BOOKS ON COMPETITIVE EXAMINATIONS
In view of the increased demand from the student community, the Department added special collections to public libraries on competitive examinations like IAS , SSC CGL , JKAS , NEET ,JEE during 2020. In the first instant about 2 titles each were provided to Tehsil libraries and Border Block Libraries
The Vision of the Department is to attain a state where every person in Leh Ladakh is an informed citizen by making ensuring easy and swift access to knowledge and information even by reaching to the unreached section of the society by reaching up to their door step too.
- To promote the culture of reading, writing and research
- To provide books and other reading material to different reading interests.
- To create and promote an atmosphere of research by providing access to books .
- To create awareness among people about the written word.
- Making available books on different subjects and in different languages at public libraries.
- Providing newspapers in libraries to keep people abreast with the happenings around the world
- Holding seminars, debates, book-exhibitions to generate awareness about the written word
- Conducting Coachings to the deserving students in different subjects .
- Conducting Counseling to different sections of the society on different issues and subjects .
- Writers, poets, students and public in genera
- Research Scholars from Ladakh and outside world around.
- All the residents of Leh Ladakh as active or potential members of public libraries and as stake-holders in the rich cultural heritage of the UT.
- Citizens with grievances against the Department or any of its libraries
- Reading community is provided with national and local newspapers and magazines to keep them abreast with the latest happenings around the globe.
- Circulation of books and making available of periodicals and reference materials of varied general interest through the chain of public libraries and lending depots/reading rooms across the District.