As a step towards e-Governance, the Information Technology Department was created in the year 2019, after UT was granted to Ladakh. The IT Department is responsible for handling all ICT related affairs in UT Ladakh. Various e-Governance Projects have been launched to reach out to citizens in a more effective manner and the age-old conventional functioning is being revamped through Business Process Re-engineering.
The Information Technology Department functions under the supervision and guidance of the Hon’ble Lieutenant Governor and the Advisor to Lieutenant Governor. For implementing various e-Governance Projects in UT Ladakh, the IT Department is supported by Ladakh e-Governance Agency (LeGA). Further, the Common Service Centers (CSC) provides various G2C/B2C services to citizens at their door steps across all the districts of UT Ladakh.
To use IT as medium for bringing transformational change in government processes with the aim to making governance more effective, efficient and citizen centric.
To facilitate planning, designing, implementing and managing a wide range of IT initiatives at department / organization levels, in UT Ladakh while aligning its focus on Digital India Program.
- To provide inclusive, affordable and accessible Government services electronically to the citizens.
- To act as a facilitator for all stake holders and also to supplement the efforts of GoI in providing robust and reliable telecom and internet connectivity throughout the UT of Ladakh.
- To support other Government departments and organizations in re-engineering their work flows through IT intervention.
- To utilize the existing and prospective IT infrastructure resources to the best possible extent for meeting the objective of improving the quality of life of citizens.
- To increase digital literacy among government officers/officials, students, women and marginalized sections of the society.
- To ensure safer cyber space for all citizens.