FOOD CIVIL SUPPLIES & CONSUMER AFFAIRS
The department of FCS&CA Ladakh is functioning since 1970 for distribution of Food Grains and other Essential Commodities to the rationees of Ladakh i.e. Twin District Leh and Kargil. The Department is dedicated in service of distributing Ration commodities till date and at present there are 404 Sale centres, feeding Ration to the 1,18,607 Souls with 26,139 Ration cards in Kargil District and 1,04,457 Souls with 25,792 Ration cards in Leh District Total 2,23,064 Souls with 51,931 Ration Cards in Ladakh UT under various schemes namely PHH, AAY and NPHH. This department also monitors the availability of petroleum products and essential commodities in market. During the last two years 98.83 % of Aahdhar seeding of ration cards and 97.38 % of Member seeding has been completed in Ladakh UT which feeds ration commodities through POS Machine and this scheme was implemented since last five years for more transparency in the Distribution.
- Introduction of Smart Card which shall replace the traditional ration card.
- SMS alert system
- Modernisation of Granary Stores & Sale Centres
- 100% Aadhaar seeding of beneficiaries & Ration card
- Weeding out of bogus ration card & souls
- installation of GPS in vehicles
- Extrusion technology for Rice fortification.
The Department of Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Department is one of the oldest Department in the UT entrusted with the responsibility of implementing one of the prime social sector programme of providing “Food Security” to one and all in general and to the vulnerable sections of the Society in particular by way of providing foodgrains like Rice and Atta and other essential commodities like Sugar, K-oil and Petroleum Products besides, protecting the consumer rights.
The Department of Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs has been performing the following prime functions:
- Public Distribution System
- Regulation of Supplies, LPG and other Petroleum Products etc.
- Price/Market Control
- Redressal of Consumer Grievances and Protection of Consumer Rights
- Consumer Awareness Programme
National Food Security Act, 2013:
National Food Security Act, 2013 has been implemented in the whole of the erstwhile J&K State with effect from 1st of Feb, 2016 with the objective to provide access to adequate quantity of quality food at affordable prices.
As per Act, the eligible beneficiaries under priority households (PHH) are entitled to receive 5 kgs of food grains per soul per month at highly subsidized prices of Rs. 3/2 per kg for Rice/wheat. However, the existing beneficiaries under Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY), which constitute the poorest of the poor, continue to receive 35 kg of food grains per household per month.
Under NPHH category the beneficiaries are provided foodgrains at a scale of 05 kg/soul per month at a subsidized price of Rs.15 per Kg for Rice & Rs.13 per Kg for Atta.
Ladakh Food Security Scheme (LFSS):
To provide additional foodgrains to the beneficiaries under NFSA, the Government has introduced Ladakh food security scheme (LFSS) which envisages providing of additional 5 Kgs of foodgrains per soul to bonafide beneficiaries having family size from (01) one to 09 (Nine) over and above the NFSA scale. Under LFSS, the foodgrains are procured at OMSS Rates from FCI and then distributed among the beneficiaries as per the below scale @ Rs.15 per Kg for Rice. Under this scheme the monthly entitlement of ration per family per month is as under:
|Soul Strength||Monthly scale per family as per NFSA||Additional food grains as per LFSS||
|1 (One)||5 kg||5 kg||10 kg|
|2 (Two)||10 kg||10 kg||20 kg|
|3 (Three)||15 kg||15 kg||30 kg|
|4 (Four)||20 kg||20 kg||40 kg|
|5 (Five)||25 kg||25 kg||50 kg|
|6 (Six)||30 kg||20 kg||50 kg|
|7 (Seven)||35 kg||15 kg||50 kg|
|8 (Eight)||40 kd||10 kg||50 kg|
|9 (Nine)||45 kg||5 kg||50 kg|
- Department of Food Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Kargil UT Ladakh Click Here To View
Roles & Responsibilities of Director:
The Main Roles & Responsibility of Director is mainly policy making and ensure implementation and monitoring of the policies. The policies are implemented by the Office of the Directorate of Food and Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs.
The Directorate of Food & Civil Supplies is also responsible for managing the functioning of PDS/TPDS, enforcement of various Acts/Rules, Orders of the Govt. of India and UT Govt. The Directorate has administrative control upon the Assistant Directors and other ministerial staffs. Moreover, the following activities are under taken by the Directorate:
- The Directorate of Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs is responsible for monitoring the stock position and stability of food grains with general price level prevailing in the state.
- The Directorate of Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs is also responsible for equitable distribution of PDS food grains like Rice, Atta, Sugar & Kerosene Oil and other essential commodities at fair prices amongst the bonafide consumers of the UT/State.
The department is headed by the Secretary to the Govt. of Union Territory of Ladakh, FCS&CA Department . He is assisted by a number of subordinate Officers/ Officials.
|Sanctioned Strength||Man in Position||
Area of Jurisdiction
|1||Director||1||1||0||All Over UT|
|2||Assistant Director||2||2||0||Over all monitoring in their respective Districts|
|3||Chief Inspector||2||2||0||Supervise the TSOs and other office work 0|
|4||Tehsil Supply Officers/SK-FPS||12||12||0||Monitoring on distribution of foodgrains under PDS system within the block/Tehsil.|
|S.No||Name||Designation||Contact No.||Mail id|
|1.||Sh. Moses Kunzang (JKAS)||Director, FCS&CA Department, UT Ladakh||9419178322|
|2.||Smt. Ruth Marry||Assistant Director, FCS&CA Department, Leh||9419178303|
|3.||Sh. Sherap Gyaltson||Assistant Director, FCS&CA Department, Kargil||9419179177|
Name & Contact of Subordinate Staff in the Directorate
|S.NO.||Name of Officials||Designation||Contact No.|
|1.||Sajad Hussain||Assistant Account Officer||7006481340|
|2.||Tahir Hussain||Tehsil Supply Officer||7051414262|
|3.||Kazim Hussain||Assistant Storekeeper||7006877243|
- In view of the pro poor initiative announced by the Govt. of India to ameliorate the hardship faced by the poor due to economic disruption caused by Corona Virus, it has been decided to allocate additional food grains free of cost @ 5kg per person per month to all beneficiaries covered under NFSA (AAY & PHH) over & above NFSA allocation. The Department has distributed 15999.985 MTs of Rice, 3013.889 MTs of Atta & 232.419 MTs of Pulses among the beneficiaries.
- 32.774 MTs of ration has been distributed among the standing migrant labours at Leh & Kargil district of UT Ladakh under Atma Nirbhar Bharat scheme during Civid-19 pandemic.
- The Scheme of One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC) has been launched in the Union Territory of Ladakh in the month of August 2020 till date 278 transaction have been made under ONORC. To register complaint regarding Inter-State portability issues under IMPDS (Integrated Management of Public Distribution System), the Department has operationalised the short code toll frère No. 14445 and the same is installed in the Directorate Office of FCS&CA Department UT Ladakh. The facility has been made functional since March 2021. Regarding mobile application “MERA RATION” extensively training is being provided to Storekeepers by the designated Nodal Officers. The Storekeepers especially in the area where there is large habitations of migrant workers have been directed to install the mobile application for further necessary action. The process of registration of migrant labours has been initiated in District Leh through the link available in the database application “MERA RATION” by incorporating the relevant residential/Ration database of the migrant workers who have migrated from their parental State in connection with carrying out the labour work.
- Implementation of Consumer Protection Act 2019. The Department has constituted the Selection Committee which shall function under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Mr. Justice Tashi Rabstan for appointment of the President & Members of the State & District Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission. The Consumers shall get access to file the complaints before the Commission(s) for redressal of their consumer related grievances.
- Providing of Free ration under PMGKAY scheme. The Ministry of Food and Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, GOI under the scheme PRADHAN MANTRI GARIB KALYAN ANNA YOJNA has allocated Food Grains (Rice and Wheat) to the entitled beneficiaries under TPDS (AAY and PHH) @5KG per person per month during the current Covid Pandemic and shall benefit 1.37 Lakh population of Ladakh each month during the aforementioned period & comprising nearly 53% of the total population.
- Installation of Kerosene Oil tanks of the capacity of 5KL’s & 10 KL’s in the remote & Snow bound areas under Special Development Package (SDP):
In continuation with the drive launched in the year 2021-21 the Department has placed order for fabrication of K-Oil tanks of 5KL & 10 KL totaling 62 No. which shall be located in remote areas to ensure the availability of the essential commodity at door step of the public. Further such K-OIL tanks will help in maintaining of buffer stock for use of the local inhabitants during any natural calamity.
- Providing of Sugar at subsidized rate to AAY families:
Ministry of Consumer Affairs Food & Public Distribution GOI, has made it imperative to give access to consumption of sugar as a source of energy in diet for the poorest of the poor section of the society that is AAY families. Subsequent upon the approval of UT Administration, the department of FCS&CA Ladakh UT has provided sugar to AAY families at a subsidized rate of Rs. 13.50 / KG per month since from July 2020.