The Academy of Art, Culture & Languages prior to name Jammu & Kashmir Academy of Art, Culture & Languages was established in District Leh in year 1969 and in District Kargil 1989 with aim & objective to preserve and promotion the unique rich Art, Culture & Languages of Ladakh. As whole world knows that Ladakh has the distinction of its unique unparallel diverse and variegated rich art, culture and languages, which are manifested in the aesthetic quality and humanistic dimensions of its languages, literature, music, folklore, folksongs, dance and drama, architecture, carving and paintings emanated out of its centuries harmonious social fabric mirroring peaceful co-existence with nature.
And whereas, it is considered expedient to establish an Academy to work actively for the preservation and promotion of the unique rich art and culture of Ladakh herein before mentioned, as Ladakh has very been declared a separate Union Territory of the country.
Therefore, an Academy in the name and style of “LADAKH ACADEMY OF ART, CULTURE & LANGUAGES” (An autonomous Body) the whole Regestration Process now under consideration for establishment of an Autonomous Body under the below mention proposed name and title.
- Name of the Academy: The name of the Academy shall be called “ Ladakh Academy of Art, Culture & Languages”
- The headquarter of the Academy shall be at Leh- (Ladakh).
- The Academy may, subject to the confirmation of the Government open its sub-offices at any place in the Union Territory of Ladakh to cater for the special need of the area.
Aims and objects:
- To publish or to assist associations and individuals in publishing literary works including dictionaries, encyclopaedias, journals, anthologies and histories in Ladakhi languages. Edit and publish rare manuscripts on the art, culture or literature of Ladakh. Translation of famous literary works of Indian authors and vice versa.
- To organise or sponsor, cultural exchanges, mushairas/ symposiums, seminars, lectures, meets, camps, conferences, exhibitions, film shows, music, dance and drama, theatre ( Folk & Contemporary) performance and cultural and literary activities within and outside the state for the furtherance of its objectives and for the development and enrichment of Ladakhi art, culture & languages as a whole;
- To encourage and foster the revival, preservation and promotion of Ladakhi folk literature, art, music, dance, drama, including the regional surveys and collection of word-hoards, classical and folk songs and tunes etc and to assist individuals or institutions engaged in such revival, preservation and promotion;
- To award prizes, confer distinctions, grants stipends, allowances or other financial aids and to accord recognition to individuals, men of letter, music, dance, drama and culture generally or to award stipend, allowance or other financial aid to their dependent in recognition of such achievements;
- To achieve the above objects, specialised institutions of high calibre in relevance to Ladakh shall be established in the following fields on the lines of three reputed and known National Akademies of Sahitya, Kala and Sangeet.