The Directorate of Tourism, UT Ladakh is the main developmental, promotional and regulatory arm of the Tourism Department of UT Ladakh Government. Its main role comprises of overall planning and execution of schemes for the development, up-gradation and improvement of the tourism infrastructure in different parts of the UT.
The Department came into existence after the bifurcation of the Erstwhile Jammu & Kashmir into Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir and Union Territory of Ladakh during the year of 2019.
The Department has a “Directorate Office” head quartered at Kargil, Three “Tourist Offices” at Leh, Kargil&Zanskar, Three“Tourism Development Authorities” at Leh,Kargil &Zanskar and an Institution namely “Food and Craft Institute” at Leh.All these Offices are functioning under the Administrative Control of Secretary Tourism UT Ladakh.
The commercial activities as well as tourist related activities in the tourism sector from government side are looked by these three Tourist Offices, while as the Developmental activities like infrastructure development are looked after by the three Tourism Development Authorities under their respective jurisdiction.
- Up-gradation, improvement and Development of infrastructure in all provinces of UT Ladakh in order to boost Tourism in Ladakh.
- Promotion of Tourism in Ladakh by using all possible modes of Advertisement &publicity.
- To identify new areas having tourist potential in far flung areas of Ladakhand build the required necessary infrastructure in order to promote tourism.
- The department is aiming to protect the unique environment of UT Ladakh by means of framing strict building regulations for all related to tourism and by making locals and tourists aware of the need to respect and protect the gifts of nature.
- Restoration of sites of all religious faiths and promotion of Pilgrim Tourism.
- The department is also bound to preserve the unique culture and heritage of UT Ladakh and to promote the same as tourist attractions.