The department of Agriculture is one of the oldest departments in the region. Since its establishment, the department served the farming community of this region from disseminating scientific technologies for increasing the crop production, seed distribution, supply of agri- machineries, off season vegetable cultivation, introduction of new vegetable varieties; which has resulted in improving the living standard of the people and boosting the economy of the farmers during the course of time.
To transform agriculture in Ladakh into sustainable, remunerative, attractive and dignified occupation by blending the traditional with advanced system, giving due respect to the scare natural resources and conservation of the fragile environment.
In a nutshell “Sustainable Agriculture for enough food, employment and wealth is the vision of Agriculture Department of UT Ladakh”. Increasing production & productivity and return on investment in Agriculture for the welfare of the farmers.
- . Making the farmers aware of latest inputs and innovations in agriculture and guide them through entire cultivation cycle to grow crops both for their captive as well as commercial consumption;
- . Implementing on ground all the Centrally Sponsored Schemes in the realm of Agriculture;
- . Providing HYV seeds/ Hybrids and quality planting material;
- . Promotion of Soil Health through Integrated Nutrient Management and use of Soil Health Cards;
- . Promoting Diversification in Cropping /Farming Systems and Organic Farming;
- . Special focus on creation of irrigation infrastructure (Per Drop More Crop & Har Khet Ko panni);
- . Promotion of Post Harvest Management Practices, Integrated Pest Management and Prevention of Post Harvest Losses;
- . Creation of post harvest Infrastructure in Agriculture such as Warehousing, Cold chains, Refer-Vans & Mandis;
- . Promotion of Farm Mechanization with special focus on Hill Agriculture;
- . Promotion of Ancillary activities such as Mushroom, Forestry, Vermi-composting, etc.;
- . Promotion of Value Addition, Branding, Tagging, and Micro Food Enterprises;
- . Promotion of off-season vegetables by way of Protected cultivation (Green houses, etc.).